Road Materials Laboratory
The Road Materials Laboratory was set up to provide;
- technical assistance and advice to our customers
- design of bituminous mixes
- conduct research in bituminous materials
- provide support to meet the demands of new performance based specifications.
With the onset of the harmonisation of European standards and the introduction of design/build/maintain contracts, there is a greater emphasis on in service performance of bituminous materials. As a result there are a number of tests to assess performance characteristics specified in these standards.
The laboratory is equipped for these tests with equipment such as:
- The Nottingham Asphalt Tester,
- Gyratory compactor,
- Roller compactor,
- Wheel tracker,
- Duriez test apparatus,
- Los Angeles Abrasion Machine,
- Marshall Test equipment,
- Carbolite ignition furnace
- Leutner test apparatus.
This equipment gives the laboratory the capability of assessing stiffness, deformation resistance (rut depth), durability, fatigue, indirect tensile strength, water sensitivity, workability of mixes, bond strength of bituminous layers, grading analysis and binder content, wet and dry strengths of cold mix materials.
The laboratory provides the following services;
- Design of stabilised wet mix macadam – Duriez tests on laboratory mixed material using Fuarflex emulsion followed by confirmatory tests on plant mixes
- Design of high modulus rut resistant bituminous mixes with hard paving grades and polymer modified binders
- Design of Porous asphalt , Stone Mastic Asphalt (SMA) and Thin layer surface course with Polyflex binder
- Marshall design
- Deformation resistance (rut depths)
- Stiffness and fatigue of pavement materials,
- Investigate and provide assistance with problems in existing materials.
Sean Dillon - Road Materials Advisor
Mobile: +353 87 2207485 // Email: email@example.com
Dave Hogan - Road Materials Engineer
Mobile: +353 87 6318575 // Email: firstname.lastname@example.org